Please mark your calendars for the 2013 meeting of the BioPharma EHS Forum, Wednesday and Thursday, September 11 and 12, 2013 at Shire Human Genetics Therapies (HGT), 300 Patriot Way, Lexington, Massachusetts 02421. The conference will be videocast at Shire, 11095 Torreyana Road, San Diego, California 92121, SD Video Conference. This is a great time to catch up on CIH, CSP and ABSA continuing education points! We hope that you will include this important meeting on your schedules. A tentative agenda is attached; please register your attendance.
There is no cost for existing company members of the BioPharma EHS Forum to send up to three staff members; non-members pay $1800.00 for up to three attendees; and first-time guest companies may send up to three individuals to the meeting for a cost of $1500 (total). Agenda items were chosen from suggestions on the 2012 Forum meeting evaluation forms and follow-up conference calls by the dedicated members of the Planning Committee: Dan Noberini (Bristol-Myers Squib, Elise Franklin (Bristol-Myers Squibb), Debora Van der Sluis (Solstice), Michael Landadio (Millipore), Tony Gemmellaro (Shire), Bill Gaylord (Allergan), Michael Schwartz (Immunogen), Tim Sullivan (Millennium), and Mark Thompson (Shire).
We are expecting an exhilarating and informative two days; as requested in the evaluation sheets from previous years, we are focusing on lessons learned, specific examples, and company experiences. The following are speakers and topics being developed for the meeting, which will include time for group discussion of each topic:
- Occupational Health Incidents & Trends – Reid Boswell, M.D., Occupational Medicine, Mt. Auburn Hospital will return to the BioPharma EHS Forum to provide attendees with the latest developments in these areas.
- Green Chemistry for Manufacturing Plant Cleaning – The topic of switching from IPA to hydrogen peroxide will be explored.
- Ergonomics Panel: Lessons Learned – Tony Gemmellaro, Shire, will discuss open workplace design; Susan Rera, Pfizer, will discuss Ergonomic Hazards and Corrective Strategies in Laboratories; Elise Franklin, Bristol-Myers Squibb will discuss the BMS Ergonomics Manual; Susan Medeiros, Millipore, will discuss Millipore’s Experience with Early Symptom Intervention, together with Greg Roth, an occupational therapist.
- Disposables in BioPharma – Bill Gaylord, Allergan, will open the panel
discussing the drivers for disposables. An engineering manager will cover the technical aspect of small scale operations, and a process engineer will review the implementation of disposables.
- Contractor Safety in R&D Settings – This issue continues to be requested on BioPharma EHS Forum meeting evaluation forms. The Planning Committee is pulling together a panel to explore aspects of temporary help and compliance issues.
- Massachusetts Process Hazard Regulation – The first compliance date is mid-2013 for this regulation which establishes five categories of hazards, with some BioPharma companies preparing for compliance with Category 4 processes by 1 June 2013. A speaker will discuss the regulation and experience with compliance.
- The Use of Disinfectants in Biologics Facilities – Companies are using
disinfectants; Michael Schwartz, ImmunoGen, will discuss the results of the recent BioPharma EHS Forum poll, followed by a roundtable discussion with all participants.
- 2014 Meeting Planning
If you have any questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org